PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The other E.E. classic, the Canberra. (Merged 23rd July '04)
Old 5th Mar 2004, 23:48
kitwe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canberras

PR7s had Makralon screens in the late 60s. We soon got used to them, after our initial reservations. I seem to remember they were introduced after Bruce Manning took a bird in the face, losing an eye in the process.

The problem with the panniers that were fitted to our PR7s was that they didn't have lids, so you didn't have to lose the pannier itself to lose the contents - you only had to open the flare doors. I know of one crew who dumped the contents of theirs in the Med in a rapid descent to Akrotiri, just to the east of Point Marion. One pilot managed to lose some sheepskin rugs on a dark and dirty night on recovery to Wildenrath. I can confirm that one since I was sitting about 4 feet behind him!

The recce equivalent of the "Lady Be Good" navex was to find Rockall. Guess what they found when they got there?

There was the story of the pilot (81Sqn?) who, whilst en-route to Darwin (I think), had the "snatch unit" (designed to "snatch" the control column forward as part of the ejection sequence) operate on him. I believe that he recovered the aircraft using the tail trim and got an AFC for his troubles.