PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Citiexpress
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2004, 18:06
GWYN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think perhaps it is time to broaden this discussion somewhat. After all, I did title the thread BACX, and we have now many pages of (presumed) aircrew discussing their own very narrow perspective.

Take a broader view, look at the ‘bigger picture,’ and no I am not suggesting that the complaints described here are not important, or should not be addressed. They are however only a small part of the whole, and I think we should not simply focus on our own narrow viewpoint, but remember that an airline does not only depend on its aircrews.

Consider this:

We are working for a company whose pilots have recently voted to support strike action.
The operations department is being relocated to Birmingham.
The majority of the experienced operations staff will NOT be going to Birmingham.
The crewing department has recently moved to Birmingham and we all know what chaos that has caused. Now consider that the crewing department has moved most of the existing staff from the IoM to Birmingham, so that it is mainly the same people doing the same job in a different place.
Then consider that very shortly we will be faced with a new Operations section in Birmingham, with mainly new and inexperienced Ops Controllers, a Nav Services department with new and inexperienced staff, and that the Nav Services Manager departs the company in a couple of weeks (due to an unwillingness to relocate, reinforced by the thoughtless, stubborn actions and short-sightedness of ‘management’).

Faced with this soon to be chaotic situation, it seems particularly thoughtless and insensitive and ill-timed, or maybe just completely uninformed and unaware, for the MD to send out a letter to all staff reminding them not to remove company property. Or is there another agenda here? Access to mainline, seniority and secondees may soon be minor considerations.

I leave the further responses to speculate, but I suggest a bit of brushing up on flight planning, fuel calculations and get used to looking at charts!