PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Citiexpress
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2004, 19:28
Bigpants

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This will end in Tears

I did not make my choice out of altruism, I felt that despite the fact that there was some merit in the Grandfather rights issue it would result in a deeply divided workforce. I did not see how I could run a safe and happy flight deck under these conditions, your view may be different.

You claim ignorance that some individuals may have grossed over £10,000 per month flying an RJ around Europe. Are you accusing me of making it up? Do you believe this reflects a sensible situation or are some milking the problems of CX for their own ends?

This all reminds me of a previous accident suffered by BA about 30 years ago when they lost a Trident. The Captain on that occasion had been in the crewroom and was involved in a row over industrial action.

He left the crewroom clmbed into his jet and got airborne. Very shortly after take off someone made a critical error that was not noticed, possibly due to distraction and the aircraft stalled. All on board were killed.

The current problems at CX are a concern to all BA employees. There must be major CRM problems within the flight crew community arising from disparities in pay and the possibility of industrial action. Unless they are resolved CX runs the risk of suffering a serious incident.

If you don't learn from history you are forced to relive it. The lessons from the PI accident remain valid today and should not be ignored.
BP