PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is the RAF obsessed with status??
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2004, 15:24
Samuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh dear! I am beginning to think the original poster has a point.

I was an airman for nine years, and was selected , that is invited, to go through the commissioning process, something that had previously never entered my head. Throughout that time, I had met many officers, both aircrew and not, and with one notable exception [a Beverly Captain believe it or not! Oh how I laughed when he got bogged down], I gave and received mutual respect. [I can get on with anyone, really]. I had also bludged rides in everything I could because I loved flying, and I thank all of those who had the courage and lack of imagination to allow me control, and I use that word advisedly!

I was eventually interviewed by a Gp Capt with a very distinguished career, and he obviously thought there was a point to my being commissioned. So off I went to the charm school, a nine year airman, with a number of Officer Cadets learning to fly and become officers at the same time. Only one thought he was better [he didn't even come close!], and he was soon pointed in the right direction.

I had to work damn hard to continue up the ranks to Sqn Ldr. Staff courses and such were never my forte,and being suddenly given a task that I knew nothing about was a bit strange at first, but I had nothing but praise for all of those who helped, both aircrew and non-aircrew. I found I could often resolve problems that those who had never served as an airman found to be too hard, or outside their range of knowledge and experience.

I think, nay, I know, that I was a better all round officer than many. I had a better range of jokes aswell. I also never came across the 'chip on the shoulder' types mentioned above. In fact I had a great 25 years or so.

I would quite happily fly anywhere, anytime with any one of you driving.