PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is the RAF obsessed with status??
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2004, 22:03
buoy15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEagle
I agree in some respects
I wore the 'hairy battledress' for my 1st 7 years and then I spent a glorious 3 year plus in FEAF in KD, where you were noticed as being well into your tour because you had 'hairy kneecaps' and hadn't been wearing "Scotchbright" uniform for a while. New arrivals quickly gained a tan, but they couldn't hide their smooth kneecaps, hence the line from the local Malcolm Club and rugby club song at the time;
"All you moonies please take note, it's a bloody long time before your boat"
And yes!, on my return to UK, I scrounged another No1 which I had converted to "Battledress" style by the stn tailor (allowed in those days) for about 15 quid, as did most other proud aviators - and Boy! didn't we look smart without itching.
Then came the 'V Bomber bus driver jacket' followed by the 'Flashers Mac' , 'the Postmans Shorty' and numerous 'woolly pully's'. lightweight trousers' and eventually CS95 and RN style pullovers etc. etc. Oh! I digress - What next? All green like the Canadians once were? Hairy thought!!!
By the way - I have an original 'Crombie Long' greatcoat for sale if anyone is interested - smooth and not "Hairy".