PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The other E.E. classic, the Canberra. (Merged 23rd July '04)
Old 2nd Mar 2004, 15:44
Lukeafb1

Nemesis of the Proot Dynasty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SPHLC,

I mentioned that particular canopy incident on a recent thread regarding Court Martials.

I was the rigger NCO on the aircraft when the leccy trashed the canopy. Was stood right by the door. It took about a week before the ringing in my ears stopped! Went to his CM as well (as an observer). If you can find the CM thread, I explain what happened to cause the incident.

As a supplement to the story, the particular canopy which was trashed in the incident was special in some way (I can't remember what, specifically - think it had a high Mod No.). That Friday, I was asked to go down to Wroughton, to remove an identical canopy from a stored Canberra in one of the semi-underground hangers. I had an MT driver with me (wasn't allowed to drive air force vehicles on the public highway), who became an honourary rigger that day, as it took two of us to remove it. Next to the aircraft which we were robbing, was the all white record breaking Canberra which had flown the UK - Australia run. Wonder what happened to it?

Beeayeate,

Used to have a couple of photos of the "Lady Be Good", which the nav took for me whilst I was on a jolly with 249. Not particularly good, but they would have been even worse if I'd taken them over the navs shoulder!

Last edited by Lukeafb1; 2nd Mar 2004 at 16:00.