PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is the RAF obsessed with status??
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2004, 13:13
Biggus

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts
Chinese Vic

I first came across the term hairy when I went through Cranwell over twenty years ago - and no I wasn't a graduate of a 'weekend flying club'. A hairy was somebody commissioned from the ranks. Since they had been serving for years, and we had been in for days, they were a good source of knowledge and advice outside of the regular working hours and directing staff. They were usually made senior cadet (or whatever it was called) to start with, and most were more than willing to pass on some pearls of wisdom which we gratefully accepted. We had nothing but the outmost respect for them.

Indeed the one group of people I have come to have the most respect for in my 20+ years in the RAF (Flaps62 you arrogant Harrier jock - I hope you are reading this!) is ex-Halton apprentices. Whereever I have met ex-Halton guys, as pilots, crew chiefs, etc, I have never failed to be impressed by their knowledge, abiltiy, good humour and work rate. Now that was a brilliant training ground for guys that today still form the backbone of many parts of the RAF!

As for yourself Chinese Vic, I don't know if the use of the word hairy has changed over the years, but it sounds like you have a personal gripe with the individual concerned (using phrases like 'weekend flying club' implies you have a 'what do they know get some time in' attitude and a chip on your own shoulder). Rest assured, if the young man didn't have a bad image of 'hairys' before your conversation than he does now. You had the chance to educate him - you ellected not to take it. Maybe that says more about you, who should know better, than a young impressionable lad just starting off on his RAF career, wet behind the years, and with a lot to learn, and unlearn (and that includes during conversdations in the bar and mess) if anyone can be bothered to educate him rather than thump him!