PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is the RAF obsessed with status??
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2004, 11:43
Argus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chinese Vic

Back in the 60s, when I was but a callow youth in Betty Windsor's senior service, I remember meeting several RAF 'hairy' FLTLT QFIs, other pilots, air traffickers and simulator instructors, who had served as NCO aircrew during WW2.

Many were decorated (DFM etc) and had served in high risk occupations (eg Pathfinders) in Bomber Command.

I received much 'guidance and counselling' from these guys, most of it relevant and useful; and not all aviation based.

Don't recall any of them getting a tad testy about said term of endearment. Most were quite capable of holding their own in repartee, particularly the Scotsmen!

Wasn't Sir Frank Whittle a 'hairy'?

Methinks you need to get a life, son, or at least stop pulling the pud. If you're a career officer, you’ll never make squadron fuehrer by throwing temper tanties in or about the O’s Mess.

Better still, give the Cr@bs the ar$e and emigrate to Oz where you'll find the lack of a middle class based on 2 'A' levels makes for a more egalitarian way of life. Here, notwithstanding your alleged tert quals, people will tell you to your face that you’re a fu*kwit. And a fu*kwit with a PhD is still a fu*kwit!

Last edited by Argus; 3rd Mar 2004 at 04:42.