PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The other E.E. classic, the Canberra. (Merged 23rd July '04)
Old 1st Mar 2004, 04:58
pliadies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ee classic the canberra

I was on canberras in 1954 as a Nav on B2's and B6's, we were not exactly confident about the a/c as so called anoxia had claimed the lives of several crews who had tent pegged in from great heights.This fiasco carried on until one Pilot had a runaway tailplane in the nosedown position on take off. He put both legs on the instrument panel and hauled the thing back into an attitude which he could control. It was then discovered that the flying tailplane ,which was moved by an electric motor ,did run away and that the travel stops were too wide for the elevators to recover the aircraft . The stops were moved and that was the end of the "anoxia "syndrome and the loss of life .The canberra never filled me with affection , it was too cold at height especially at night , too hot during the day when low level in the summer and it could bite when mishandled - I still think I was lucky to walk away from two tours on the thing.