PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is the RAF obsessed with status??
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2004, 04:03
Chinese Vic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Ex-Hairy'

I have served in the RAF for 17 years, half of which as an avionics technician and the rest as a commissioned officer. I tried my hand at flying but ultimately had a capacity lack - no regrets, and I enjoy my current role immensely. I have served on the front line for a majority of that time, on the Jaguar, Harrier, Tornado GR and Canberra forces and in general found the pilots/navs to be an approachable bunch with a healthy respect for those of us nailed to the ground but fulfilling important support functions.

However, Beagle et al, I have to take issue with the use of the term 'Ex-Hairy', the use of which is thoroughly repellent and offensive, whether offered in banter or not.
It is exactly that type of elitist arrogance that we are being criticised for!

I worked bl@@dy hard to get where I am from modest beginnings, and am proud of the achievement. I have considerably more than the '4 'O' levels' etc required to join the Officer Corps.

I first came across the term during IOT, from a snotty ex-UAS student officer who thought he had already gained his wings by merely turning up. He really couldn't understand why I found the term offensive and derogatory......he understood only when I suggested we retire to the rear of the Mess to sort it out 1 v 1!

I really don't care where the term originates - I just don't think it's appropriate these days.

CV