PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The other E.E. classic, the Canberra. (Merged 23rd July '04)
Old 29th Feb 2004, 16:53
SirPeterHardingsLovechild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In all my time, 27 years and counting, I have never witnessed as many engineering cock ups as I did in 18 months in Canberra Servicing Flight at Wyton. It is great to learn from other peoples mistakes.

All three stories below concern the same electrician!

1. One of the checks the electricians carried out, (as they dashed between 4 separate rigger teams) was a no volts check of the canopy detonators. (Before Miniature Detonating Cord - a ring of pencil like detonators were around the canopy sill to fracture the canopy before the ejection seat goes through). Well, I never did find out if the pre-printed MP (Maintenance Procedure) had a page missing, or he turned two pages over in error, bit the ignored page was the one instructing the tradesman to disconnect the detonators.

KABOOM!

2. The rigger SNCO was doing a 'quick' independant check on the Aileron trim tab which had been disconnected and reconnected for some reason, (but not adjusted). Rigger Corporal was in the PR9 cockpit. 'Okay, do it one way' says the SNCO with the ruler, and measures the movement. 'Lovely, do it the other way'...'and to the neutral position' All done and dusted, signed up and off to the crewroom for a game of Uckers...Not knowing that our jinxed electrician had been working in the cockpit on a separate job, and, as electricians and fairies do, had removed/replaced the trim switch without telling anyone. Only he refitted the switch the wrong way round. Cue one mildly surprised senior pilot on the airtest. Tech charges all round!

3. Thirdly my favourite. Cabin Pressurisation Test with that infernal rig. Well, three riggers had tried to start this thing. (This is a 250 cc petrol rig with a hand crank starter) Our star electrician approached the rig saying 'You bloody lightweight riggers, if I get this started then the beers are on you tonight' Putting his mouth over the carburettor air intake and blowing (forcing lots of fuel into the manifold) he grabs the starter handle (wrapping his thumb around the handle) Nothing for the first couple of turns but suddenly the thing fires. A look of victory on the leckys face...but the starting handle has jammed in...and he can't let go of it. What seemed like ages, but was probably half a dozen revolutions, the engine was running, with the hapless electrician flailing around like a madman. Then, still unable to let go, he manages to pull the handle out. A second look of victory from the Lecky and, grinning like a w@nking jap he raises the (still spinning) cranking handle in salute...and knocks several of his own front teeth out.

Happy Days. Many more techie disasters to relate if you request it.

SPHLC

Last edited by SirPeterHardingsLovechild; 29th Feb 2004 at 17:08.