PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is the RAF obsessed with status??
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2004, 18:52
Jobza Guddun

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
NightOwl, I think you've called it exactly how the majority of techies think and operate. Can't really speak for other branches or trades but the majority seem to have a similar outlook.

We have all experienced the type of people this thread is about, for me its always been aircrew - techy with the odd run-in with regt or admin/sec. Clearly, the flyers here have had similar with fellow and senior aircrew. We all have our crosses to bear and when it comes down to it if we couldn't stand it anymore we'd go, right? Besides, is it not a real pleasure when you get your own back on an arrogant condescending git (in whatever world you circulate in)?

For what its worth, I recognise aircrew simply as people having a) the ability and b) the medical category to complete the relevant FTS / OCU courses. Not necessarily cleverer or with more common sense than me, but credit where credit's due. Anybody can learn to fly, but most people can't do it well enough in the time the RAF gives you.

There will never be equality of treatment in the military, it just doesn't work like that and we all know that. Some areas though need people taught to show a bit of respect to juniors, and basic bloody good manners in general. Failing that, when they want something from me, they get the bare minimum I HAVE to give them and if its not enough, well, tough. (Officer or SNCO I hasten to add).

Have a good weekend eveybody.