PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malayan Airways: "For Half the Pay"
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2004, 18:30
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Dear Prince,
Times have changed. I am not trying to "wriggle out from under", by presenting you with FACTUAL data that was as relevant to your operations then, as it is today.
Similarly, I hold no grudge against you per se, as you are quite probably representative of the airmen who flew in your era. You loved your company, and company interests were almost always paramount to one's thinking wrt operations - sometimes placed ahead of decisions, which had they been purely Safety orientated, would have taken second place.

But you were not crucified for making what was probaly a major cost-saving decision - at no discernible increase in danger to pax & aircraft.
Unfortunately, as aircraft have become more complex, we pilots are now monitored during EVERY phase of flight, including taxi-ing!!
We are becoming experts at covering our collective @sses, by doing EVERYTHING as per the employing company's SOP's.
In other words, I have been as harsh on you as any of today's employers would be.

Do I enjoy it?
Having been fortunate enough to have flown through the transitional period, I have to admit to mixed feelings. I flew for an airline that I loved, and might well have concurred with the decision YOU elected to make in continuing to SIN vs landing "at the nearest suitable" - but in today's "dog eat dog" world the very Company which we believe we are trying to help, is just as likely to terminate us, because we didn't operate to the letter of the O.M.

Maybe I've played Devil's Advocate with you, Prince of Dzun??
And hopefully YOU might understand why today's pilots seem so much more "mercinary" than you gentlemen were.

I tips me hat to you, Sir!!