PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you really Want to Do This...??
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2004, 12:25
B2N2

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
C'mon Easy Glider, don't hold back tell us your story.
You've gone further than the most of us, give us some inside view.
I know for sure I've toughened up and grew a lot more cynical in the last 4 (hard) years.
Understand now why some people wouldn't even talk to me when I was a starry eyed bushytailed PPL.
You're in this trade to either make it or you don't
I personally know quite a few people who fell by the way side and didn't make it quite as far as they initially thought they would for whatever reasons.
Sometimes it's lack of character and stamina that's for sure.
So if you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen sort of thing.

HOWEVER........
Very few people (and none of them in the aviation training world)
have ever told me how difficult it could be.
They are obviously very happy keeping up appearances and making hot air balloons.
Sure...people get lucky..I know one guy who was called at home(!) by a flagcarrier's head hunter and asked to come work for them. He just got his CPL ME with 280 hrs. They paid for the rest of his training. This was in the early 80's during the airline boom.
I have never assumed the same would ever happen to me..and guess what, turns out I was right all along it never did happen to me.
I do know that everything I have achieved comes trough MY hard work and taking chances and risking everything.
I've had a couple of good people (you know who you are) give me opportunities at times when everything seemed bleak and endless. What comes around goes around
Anyways, enough preaching for this time....
Whoever started this thread we surely hijacked it right didn't we ?