PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malayan Airways: "For Half the Pay"
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2004, 19:19
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Danger

Penang: Hills do not "surround" the airport. An approach to one end of the runway is over the sea, with no high ground between the coast and runway threshhold. If conditions are VMC (which didn't seem to worry you too much when they weren't, anyway) then it is easy to make a right break and remain over water on downwind before turning base and final, well away from high ground, for landing on the reciprocal end.

Butterworth: A stones throw from Penang, would be available in an emergency.

"Malacca: Available but tower had to be called out and goose neck flares laid and lit, time waster, better to keep going." That is your opinion only, Roy Rogers.
The checklist for an engine failure in the F27 clearly states, "land at the nearest suitable airport".

Johor Baru ?: No metion made of JB, however I'm unsure when it opened.

"Singapore: Destination, home base with maintenance facilities. No obstructions, flat approaches to long runways.."
Paya Lebar (which is where I assume you were landing, and not Seletar) is a single runway from memory, with approaches to both ends over denslely populated residential areas.

perhaps....you will now tell me just how this particular situation shoud have been handled.
In a word, Professionally.
Which is what the P in PPRuNe stands for. Your tales read like something from a Boy's Own or Biggles book, and your peurile (which means "childish", to save you running for your dictionary) comment, "You certainly are a wet blanket" is an indication that your blustering tales of yore are aimed at the non-aviation professionals who occasionally frequent this website.

Best of Luck in finding a job soon, winglet. The job scene is certainly opening up and, imo, will continue to do so this year - so perhaps you'll be airborne again very soon.