PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is the RAF obsessed with status??
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2004, 18:40
Flap62

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are elements creeping into this thread which represent exactly what is wrong with society. There is a perception in society (and certainly in the airline I now fly for) that we are all equal. Wrong. The Air Force is a meritocracy not a fluffy tree hugging liberal commune. Now that is not to say that anyone has the right to "look down" on anyone else. If that is the case then it reflects a flaw in the individual's character rather than an endemic problem in the pilot community.

Several uninformed contributors have highlighted the "arrogance" of harrier pilots. Having worked very happily in that atmosphere I can say that it is no worse and a lot better than many FJ environments for egos (F3 ocu for one!!). Yes there is arrogance but people have worked damned hard to get where they are. Why should they accept that someone who didn't have the same talent or who plain didn't put in as much effort in training now turns round and says "well you're no better than me really!"

As to the attitude of the flat-stoners who say "why should pilots look down on OC MT or whatever". The long and the short of it is that you could never do their job, but they can do yours if they had to (or OC catering or whatever). This means that not everyone is equal. Accept it, it's painful I know, but they are better than you.

FFP - you really do come across as a thoroughly repellant individual. It's apparent from your post (wanted GR4, now like a big flight deck) that you were chopped and have a chip on your shoulder. You weren't good enough, accept it and get on with your life. You would do well to remember that the role of the RAF is to fight. That means people putting their lives on the line whether it be FJ, multi, rotary, Regt, Officers, SNCOs and Airmen. The rest is support. If you enjoy waffling along bantering and don't care too much about flying I pray that some day you are never called upon to put yourself on the line. This job is for people who are serious and focused and I fear that the chip on your shoulder is probably matched by a yellow streak down your back.