PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malayan Airways: "For Half the Pay"
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2004, 17:32
Prince of Dzun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kaptain M:
You certainly are a wet blanket and I'm beginning to find your critical know it all suspicious diatribe rather irksome. To get some sense into all this, please read what's written below and then if it pleases you answer the question at the end.

Penang: Return to departure point, short runway, hills surrounding airfield, nil glide slope guidance (no Varsi), Cbs in area. No pluses for a single engine night landing.

Kuala Lumpur: Simpang required close attention even during the day. There is high ground close in around the airfield all of it unlit and a high hill on the downwind leg for landing to the south. Landing to the north required crossing a railway line embankment right on the threshhold. No Varsi. Not good for circling at night on one engine.

Malacca: Available but tower had to be called out and goose neck flares laid and lit, time waster, better to keep going.

Singapore: Destination, home base with maintenance facilities. No obstructions, flat approaches to long runways with Varsi at both ends. Clear weather.

It all happend many years ago but I remember the details quite clearly. I also recall that pushing on was an easy decision to make. Ignoring the fact that you dived into some deep water without the full picture perhaps with all your wisdom and experience you will now tell me just how this particular situation shoud have been handled.

Winglet21:
I enjoyed reading your sentiments and I trust you will find a good highly paid flying job soon. Regards,

Prince of Dzun