PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How Qantas Pilots Acted on Impulse (Alan Kohler)
Old 27th Feb 2004, 17:19
The Puzzler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Puzzle me this....

As an aussie expat who is now mercifully ex easyjet allow me to cast some light on free seating. Basically the loadsheet evens out the load across the 3 loading compartments that the 737 pax compartment is divided into. It is then up to the cabin crew to make sure that the pax are evenly distributed across the cabin and if necessary make adjustments if say 50 pax all sit at one end of the plane. Most of the time the No1 would come and ask where we would like the pax to be if this was the case. In practise with good load factors it is never an issue. On the odd occasion when we flew a late night shuttle to Scotland with 10 pax we'd seat them all forward. All baggage is loaded into the rear hold except prams, breakables etc which went into the forward hold. Again on the odd occasion that we maxed out with baggage the procedure was always to fill the rear hold before filling the forward hold. In almost 4 years of flying with them I never had a significant trim problem. As for the pushing and shoving to get onboard, well it is inevitable....

And finally, dont sell out. T & C's across the world are on the decline, we must all make a stand to keep our profession just that - professional! All the best and happy landings.