PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is the RAF obsessed with status??
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2004, 15:22
The Swinging Monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R & R

I think you are absolutely spot on in what you say, and whilst it does occur within the non commissioned aircrew world, it is without doubt a major problem amongst the Officer cadre.

My most satisfying moment on SAR was pulling a FJ pilot from the frozen north sea many years ago now. The guy, who by coincidence came from the same station as my big yellow egg whisk, was without doubt a complete to$$er. Despised by his fellow officers and probably by his own groundcrew, it was left to a humble FS airman aircrew to save this guys neck.

The morale of this story is that we are all experts in our own right and dicipline, and whenever I hear FJ crews telling everyone just how wonderful they are, I simply point out that one day, they will need the skill and expertise (and bravery to a degree) of a humble Sgt, FS etc to save their bacon. It usually shuts them up - for a while at least!

Regards and respect to ALL our SAR boys and girls - I wish above all else I was still with you but the years hath taken their toll on the old body, sadly.

Kind regards
The Swinging Monkey