PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is the RAF obsessed with status??
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2004, 13:48
Mr C Hinecap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nurse: At least we can get into any job in the RAF without Daddy having done it first and/or having the proper breeding/school/private income/limited gene pool/quantity of Hampshire owned by family! We can also decide when we want to wear a jumper and not rely on a shouty man to let us know!

To further my point of strapping a big boy's toy to your ar$e etc. Any Multi or Rotary crew is mixed and operates that way constantly - a small team. FJ sqns seperate the operators from the rest. Why should a young jockey be concerned about others? Since he entered his professional training it seems to me to be a fairly introspective world. Your training & your job is about you and your ability. Those around you are the same with the same concerns. Once you reach Sqn Ldr, then you might have some (very few, well paid intelligent, motivated) people to look after. If you get to be a Sqn Cdr, most of the troops are looked after by SEngO. Not judging here - just putting forward a personal theory on things.
Those who enter the world at a different point usually have flights to look after. There you spend much of your time looking beyond your own arm span and usually at other human beings, perhaps not your equals in many things, but with a valuable job to do. We are all different, with different things to do. SACs look down on aircrew sometimes - give us a beer and we're all friends.