PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is the RAF obsessed with status??
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2004, 11:28
Oggin Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suppose the difference In the Royal Navy is that everyone is, as it were, in the same boat.
If you are serving at sea (not just limited to the RN these days) and you lose your ship, you lose your home.
If you are serving on an airbase, and it gets attacked, you don’t necessarily lose your home. Furthermore, most airfields the light blue fly into or out of on ops usually belong to friendly host nations, hence the ethos to be really worried about your immediate surroundings and hence respect your oppo, peer, superior or subordinate is diminished somewhat.
I would wager that should there be a real, direct military threat to the RAF's UK airfields (apart from the current political one) this ethos would change radically. It happened in 1940 and the Crabs did a bl00dy good job
In the RN it is truly a team effort, from the able seaman cheesing down () the berthing ropes to the Captain with the ultimate responsibility. Plus we all have to co exist in a metal box for vast amounts of time. (I'm sure the same sort of mutual respect occurs in your multi crew platforms such as the E3 and the Mighty Hunter).
But hey, keep smiling you are not all bad!

Oggin