PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is the RAF obsessed with status??
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2004, 05:23
Stray Fin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is only human to have a competitive edge, and it is, also, a necessity of the job to believe in one's own ability.
However, I have to agree with WorkingHard - within our ranks there is an arrogance which I believe is more deep-seated than just an over-zealous belief in one's own capabilities. Having seen aircrew from a fair number of other nations at work, and having spent most of my life abroad, I do believe that the view held by many aircrew in the UK of others, particularly ground trades, lies within the class system that this nation has attempted to rid itself of.
I am aware that there is a large percentage of RAF aircrew who come from modest backgrounds, so it is can no longer be linked to “birthrights”, but the mentality still lingers.
Unfortunately, this has the result of ground trades resenting aircrew, regardless of how “normal” you might be. And having seen how some of us “master-race” talk to them, I’m not surprised. Surely we can’t be surprised at the lack of cohesion between trades, when this perceived differential exists.
This will not entirely explain the arrogance of Harrier mates, and if this is indeed the root of arrogance towards the ground-trades, it will not be resolved in the near future.