PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is the RAF obsessed with status??
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2004, 02:54
FFP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would agree. There does seem to be a hierachy and a false one at that. I remember being at Valley and backseating a trip before starting my course. When asked by a guy who flew Harriers what I wanted to fly, I relpied with GR4`s. When he asked why I was only aspiring to be second best, I started to re think things as this was the kind of person I was going to spend my life working with.

Now that guy was an arse. No doubt. On the other hand I`ve worked with people of all trades and some of the Navs , Air Engineers, Movers and Police that you mention have more personality, social skills and approachablility (?) in their little fingers than some of those guys. But you do get Harrier mates who as well as being extremely good pilots are bloody nice blokes. They are the ones I really hate

There is no doubt in my opinion that the FJ environment breeds that attitude, a somewhat "sorry your not flying what I am" and it isn`t until you are away from it that you realise it. I have many friends that couldn`t give 2 sh!t$ what I do in the RAF and to be with them is 10 times better than the mess environment.

It also sounds a silly thing to say but after going through the trg system and wanting to fly all my life, I realise that flying isn`t the be all and end all. I see a lot of people to whom the RAF and flying is everything. A narrow view on life and dangerous for when it may all go wrong.

I think there`s nothing better than sitting on a flight deck with as many people as you can fit on it, bantering because you know it is banter and talking about everything and anything other than flying (yes, I know you are actually flying at the time but you know what I mean )

I also think that the only people who get wound up by the perceived hierachy are those that believe in it so much that they think the aren`t at the top !!!!

To summarise, I don`t care what you do. I think there are many FJ aircrew who aren`t happy and many police/movers who couldn`t be happier. Where`s the hierachy now ?