PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair to save SNN airport and Irish tourism?
Old 30th Nov 2001, 06:44
maxalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DW11
So Ryanair want Aer Rianta to build a low cost terminal at Dublin, where they already have a large operation, which is 5 miles from Dublin has a catchment area of over 1 million and is a favoured European destination for weekend breaks.
BillyFish2
SNN is in the arse-end of nowhere. The nearest town is a one horse town without the horse. It takes 2.5 hours on a very fast motorbike to get to Dublin, not that I would ever consider breaking the speed limit...
The arse-end of nowhere that you so eloquently refer to is the very region that needs the tourists. Kerry being a prime example, in that it lives almost entirely on the tourist trade and it's unspoiled state is the main attraction to the place.

You two gentlemen are as thick as pig **** if you think O'Leary has the least bit of an interest in Irish tourism.

Maybe he should say...'Irish Tourism....but only if it's in Dublin, and arrives via Ryanair'.

There's another aspect to this whole debate that's been ignored, and it is this.
Given the history of corruption between politics and business in this country, why the hell would we favour giving control of a national resource (like our airports) over to a selfish and ruthless business man like O'Leary?

I might be accused of having certain prejudices against him...true...but I don't care if it's him or the pope of Rome...no businessman should ever be given the kind of monopolistic and unfettered franchise to assetts belonging to Irish taxpayers (of which I am one).