PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you really Want to Do This...??
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2004, 09:09
Harves

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been in the business of wanting to be in the business for many years now. To be precise, 17 years ago, I was trying for the RAF...no go through eye sight, and 15 years ago I was told I would never fly in any capacity through medical reasons.

This resulted in a 6 year catering career followed up by 8 years of IT sales. Everyone of those 14 years unhappy because I could not fly. I spent every hour looking up with envy.

Now I know that life as a pilot has changed and I think that it is right and propper that potential pilots go in to their chosen careers with there eyes open, thus deathcruzer's post is positive.

However, I would like to open his or her eyes to something that may have been forgotten over many years.

Flying on the whole is a passion for people, I believe all the more so now, in light of the costs and future expectations. I am sure you once had a passion deathcruzer, that has obviousely wilted.

I just say to you, remember how lucky you are, and if you have never experienced standing on a train platform in the pooring rain at 4am to get into a job you hate in London with another 14 hours ahead of you before the same miserable platform, then think twice before jumping ship. You may on the other hand have the money to invest in a nice little hotel or bar...but remember, I have been there aswell.

I believe that I may well have been the same had everything gone my way, but it didn't. I now have my F ATPL at 33 going on 34 and will do all in power to get a job doing what I love. I also continue to encourage people to persue ther dream in what ever way may suit. And yes deathcruzer, that may be flying for fun, but please remember where you were once upon a time.

Realistic evaluation is good, but dragging elements of the industry down surely can't.

In fairness, before I sent this post, I re read yours and although annoyed initially, I think I can see where you are coming from.

I certainly agree with the oppinion that pilots or students are being sucked dry in many ways and in an unfair manner, but this I, maybe naively, believe will change for the next regular cycle.

Harves