PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malayan Airways: "For Half the Pay"
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2004, 14:48
Sultan Ismail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many years ago I read and was inspired by the work of E.K. Gann, “Fate is the Hunter”, there was a hiatus in my appreciation of pioneering aviators until I came upon the writings of the Prince of Dzun on this board, he has moved the scene of E.K. Gann’s adventures to a place much closer to my present home, Malaya and Borneo, or Peninsular and East Malaysia as it these days.

I would suggest that you read his postings in the spirit of those other pioneers long gone and be thankful that we still have someone here to tell us how the great industry of aviation got started and demonstrated its ability to spread civilisation to the darkest part of the jungle.

Malaysia Airlines has continued in that spirit and still provides a service into the jungle, at considerable financial loss, and it still pays its pilots, however I cannot tell you what their thoughts are as they pass over that natural beauty. Perhaps in a moment of euphoria they would also “…do this for half the pay…”

The drivel that has since followed amazes me, just one example sets the tone for the rest, the writer has confused “beauty of this route” with “beat up’s” along the beach.

So please read the post and enjoy the tale that is told, it’s living history.

Sultan Ismail