PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Start from scratch...or not?
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2004, 17:43
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FFF, you still out there???
Yes - but wasn't around yesterday, because I decided to take the day off to head to Sandown for lunch with my girlfriend. Her first flight in a light aircraft, and she was very nervious for the first 10 minutes, but once she started to relax she loved it! But that's not really very relevant....

Besides taking yesterday off, though, I'm not really sure why you're specifically asking me - it's not a situation I've got any experience of. But since you did ask, here's my uninformed opinion:

Definitely don't start again, there's no need. The biggest problem you have, as I see it, is that you know that things have been missed out of your past training (e.g. w+b). But you can't possibly know what's been missed - if it's been missed, then how would you know about it???

I think what you need to do is find a very understanding instructor. Go for a flight to find out what stage your flying is at, obviously. But then you'll need to spend plenty of time on the ground with him. Get him to go through the entire syllabus with you - and I really do mean the entire syllabus - and then, between the two of you, you can work out what you've done, what you've forgotten, and what you've never been taught. I would imagine that this will take longer than your first flight, so you'll need to find an instructor who's prepared to spend this much time on the ground, but without doing this I can't see any way to ensure you cover everything.

All the other stuff about doing it intensively or going abroad is a bit of a red herring. I can't see how the arguments for/against are any different in your case than in any other case, and you've been hanging around here for long enough to have read them over and over already.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do and how it goes!

FFF
-------------