PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OXford and Jobs
Thread: OXford and Jobs
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2004, 17:55
jarjam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MJ knows the score

Having read this thread through from the beggining you can see that there has been a digression away from the original post.
I am not an ex-Oxford student but know many who went and I have never known so many people to have such a variety of complaints about an FTO, but thats another thread.
Seems to me that the "careers" department is a hollow promise purely there to glam up the appearence of OAT for potential punters.
I.E. "this building is where you do the training and if you go through that door, thats where we hand out the airline jobs afterwards". WHAT A LOAD OF BO***KS .
Unfortunately for Oxford the good old days of 509vBCPL are long gone and after a bit of a lag/histeresis the airlines now understand that however you obtained your license is of little importance (as long as you got one).
Time and time again I speak to people who have spent good time and effort researching the miriad of FTO's to get the best deal only to go to one of the big schools for fear of hindering there prospects of employment. If i'm perfectly honest I was a little unsure as to wether my decision was a good one to go modular.
I now know that my fears were unfounded and I am pleased that I listened to the advice of people who knew the REAL story and that I didn't fall for the glossy, epaulette wearing rubbish that is churned out in all the magazines with rediculous regularity!!!
As mad_Jock so very nicely said, the airlines are showing a trend for hiring instructors again rather than low hours pilots who havn't flown for 6 months or have done very little flying in say the last year.
At a rescent sim ride that I attended (and passed I am pleased to add) all four of the candidates were instructors with 1000+ hours there were no low hour guys present at all.
My point is be smart with your cash, do your training with good schools with good recommendations from past students and not ones that spend the most on advertising.
Without trying to sound patronising, OAT is a business and a very large one at that, you are effectively a number and once they've had your cash thats the end of the road as far as they're concerned. Don't fall for it, send c.v's, put yourself around, build your hours, make contacts, make your own luck and you'll find a job but don't think for a minute that Oxford give a toss about the individual student they dont!!!

JarJam