PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malayan Airways: "For Half the Pay"
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2004, 16:57
CI54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prince of Dzun,

We still do the Jesselton (now known as Kota Kinabalu) Sandakan flight these days. And we still follow the Kudat route (now known as W420) in the afternoon when we can only see red returns on the EHSI for area covering Mount Kinabalu. On one of the flights early last year, a B737 hit a tunderstorm cell while using the route and one of the crew at the back suffered a fractured leg. We treat this route with utmost respect due to the sudden build up of CBs in the afternoon (as I believe you all did back then).

Of course nowadays things are much better in terms of safety. Kinabalu is now equipped with area and terminal radar. Sandakan has a 6900ft runway equipped with ILS for rway 08 and the aircraft that we fly today of course are much better equipped with powerful turbofan engines which makes climbing to 25000 ft a breeze for BKI-SDK sector.

These days we are unable to have a good look at the scenery along the way but at 25000 ft if the weather permits, we have a wonderful view of Mount Kinabalu. And on the way back from Sandakan, on descent for landing runway 20 Kinabalu, we are able to have a good look at the small villages at the foot of Mount Kinabalu (beautiful from the air, cant imagine how it feels to be there). As we get nearer to the runway, we are able to see the two Universities (UiTM & Universiti Malaysia Sabah which is one of the most beautiful universities in Asia) and a few minutes before landing we are able to see the coast with Yayasan Sabah standing proud by the sea.

Would I do it for half the pay? In these days of material needs goes hand in hand with better quality of life, I would say our generation have a lot to differ in terms of consideration in comparison with your generation. But we do enjoy the job just the same...