PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low-timers and (un)employability
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2004, 13:35
Nigd3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autosync

I have to agree with you to a point but we are talking different ops here, 1 pilot twin engine heli and 2 pilot multi engine fixed wing.
If (for some obscure reason) I was told that the pilot of a 737 I was due to board, was going to be the only pilot on board and he was a brand new Oxford, or any other flying school, CPL with 300 ish hours and a 737 rating, I would refuse to get on the aircraft. That is unless I had a crystal ball that told me every system was going to work as it should, he wouldn't cock up his approach or that he wouldn't overload due to him having to concentrate on systems or procedures that were still relatively new to him whilst ATC were giving him unusual demands. Sorry, way too big a risk.
If he had the security of an experienced training captain next to him then fine. Of course it will not stop all eventualities and accidents but its sure one hell of a safety net.
All I'm trying to say, is that whilst new-ish pilots are still cutting their teeth learning to fly and airmanship, to introduce the complexities of managing systems and other factors seems to me a bad idea.