PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foreign Airlines
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2004, 10:29
dorosenco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iloveywg,

Since you already started your flight training in Canada I suggest that you go ahead and finish your training. Also, since you are only 18 I strongly suggest that you get a college degree so you have another way of living when things get tough.
Most of european countries expect their pilots to speak the national language, unless they cannot find enough pilots and they start looking outside. These days a lot of pilots are looking for jobs, so I don't see any reason why they would be looking for foreigners not speaking the language. Eastern europe would be an option these days, not western europe.
Also, becoming a EU citizen is not that easy. You need to have relatives holding an EU passport for you to get the citizenship. Do you have anybody in your family from the EU ? No EU carrier will hire you without citizenship, they have already lots of EU pilots looking for jobs ...
Another thing is the license, you will need an EU license called also JAA license. That means license conversion and some extra money. I think that there are some schools in Canada preparing for the JAA (european) license.
Now, the canadian license is an ICAO license. There are a lot of countries around that accept your license and would hire you if you meet the minimum requirements, Africa, Asia, Middle East. Also, converting to a FAA license is very easy, you should do it so you might gain employment in the USA if you have a green card.
US carriers do require a 4 years college degree, so get your degree ...

good luck with your training,