PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low-timers and (un)employability
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2004, 20:39
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a form of insecurity when you have to resort to insults to get your point across and does nothing for your professional reputation.

Spot on, Whirlygig.

But since you're thinking of going commercial, I should point out to you that PF1's attitude is common in the industry, at least among instructors - the only bit of it I know well. I was licking my wounds a couple of days ago, having been bawled out by my supervising QHI...for no other reason that that he was feeling bad because we have few students over winter, he's not earning enough, and is jealous of me because I have another way of earning money. Oh, and I asked politely for more work. And took a few minutes longer than he would over a briefing with a keen trial lesson student. I think those were the sum of my crimes. The words "taking the bread out of his mouth" were mentioned somewhere in the tirade"...can't remember the details; it was a case of taking it out on me because I was the nearest person and he figured I wouldn't retaliate. And I didn't. Not worth it. I need him, and I have enough self control to ignore it all rather than add fuel to a raging fire.

But afterwards I phoned a friend - a f/w instructor with over 20 years experience. And she told me the flying world is full of people like that, people who know how to fly, but not to deal with people, because they've never had to learn. People who don't control their tempers, and don't see why they should. They're accepted because all they have to actually do to keep their jobs is fly well, and that they can do. It's all they've ever done, and they think it makes them important. But they wouldn't last 5 minutes in most industries or jobs.

I love to fly helicopters, but I've already decided - I hate so much about this industry!!!! I have to crawl and smile and accept insults and sexism, and drag myself up by my bootstraps...and for what? To be paid a pittance to allow people who can't fly to have the chance to try and kill me! Because I won't be one of those instructors who never lets the student really have control. And be resented for the fact that I can get on with people, and that I had the foresight and the brains to make sure I always had another way to earn a living in a precarious industry.

They're not all like that. I've met some fantastic people, both on and off PPRuNe. I've been given a huge amount of help, and made a lot of friends. But there are enough clones of PF1 (even if he thinks I'm a pro and gives me "permission" to post ) and that QHI to make me seriously doubt my sanity in carrying on.

So, Whirlygig, and other wannabes, are you really really sure you want to do this?

Cheers,

Whirly (who can put up with any number of insults on PPRuNe, but not face to face for no reason, and is still fuming about it, and hence maybe not being as objective as usual
)