PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor ratings for PPL/NPPL licence holders
Old 15th Feb 2004, 18:49
shortstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAS (and others)

I do see where you're coming from and I do see the need to set a standard of competance ... but why at CPL? Surely this can be achieved at the point of the FI course?

The present system has actually only been around for about 15 years so I don't really use rose tinted specs to see back that far. What I can see is the effects the new system is having now that it's starting to bite ... more on those effects in a bit.

I do wonder what will happen as our older experienced career instructors leave? Incidently, many of these where PPL instrutors who turned professional. This may be a bit of a broad statement (we're all guilty of those) but many of our present crop of instructors are simply filling a gap in their careers. What happens if the airline industry does take this promised upturn ? who will be left? A few who decide they enjoy instructing and want to stay (that's good) and those who don't find the job they really want and have to stay (that's bad).

Why change?

Is the present system really that good? Let's see ...

It forces out our older very experienced instructors who fail to make the class 1 medical ... Hmmm, well we can carry passengers with a class 2, so is the risk that much greater?

It forces those who want to instruct and go no further to train to a level that is way beyond what they need or want. OK, so you do need to know more than the level you teach (we've established that) ... but I'm talking basic PPL here. Your required flying experience and FI training naturally makes you far higher in knowledge than that needed to qualify for a PPL.

Is the present system really that bad? lets see ...

In essense the present system is probably not too bad, but it is flawed. The cracks are starting to appear and I honestly think a change is needed.

Firstly, the broad aviation knowledge base is dissappearing from our clubs. A present instructor can qualify on a fast track CPL course, tag on an FIR and be instructing within 18 mths. I don't doubt he/she will be very knowledgable on the theory side, their flying will be well polished and I'm sure they will be very very good at getting their students through their PPL's. Trouble is, then what for that student? Club aircraft hire? IMC? IR? Multi? ... fun?? I see more and more PPL's emerging (or leaving) who've never heard of the PFA, of what it's like to have a group share, or own, or aerobat, or air race ect ect. They often know nothing about what it "CAN" be like to fly! Why? because their instructor hasn't or doesn't either! I know many do ... but a surprising number don't!

Secondly, the cost of becoming an instructor! It's horrendous! If you are using the FI as a means to an end, then to an extent the cost and the crap wages are kind of justified. If you just want to instructn then the cost of getting there is prohibitive. It will continue to be badly payed whatever, so why bitch about that side ... it's a fact of life even if unjustified. Far from adding another layer and adding to the costs, what is proposed will make it more accessable as it once was and bring costs (to the prospective FI) down. Also to turn upside down your "plenty of CPL/FI's around to fill posts" ... there were never thousands more unemployed instructors back then either. Plenty of unemployed CPL's and ATPL's yes ... but what's new?

The answer?

Like I said in an earlier post, I don't really know but we can all make suggestions. So what about something on the lines of ...

FI (R) = PPL + 200 P1 hrs + FI course + class 2 medical
FI = CPL + 200 hrs instructing experience.

That way those who progress to unrestricted FI or teach advanced level need a CPL or higher and will naturally demand a higher wage. Those that don't may have to live with the poor wages but like I said ... fact of life. At least they will have no illusions and stay instructing for either the love of it or to progress up the instructor ladder rather than off to be airline pilots.

Maybe G-KEST is looking at it from a selfish prospective ... but so what? is he wrong too? maybe? maybe not? and maybe those CPL/FI's instructing now are also? I can understand that ... it's human nature. But does that make it right?

SS

BTW ... Anyone who knows nothing of the BGA or BMAA system, I'd suggest you find out, because to know nothing makes you a bit blinkered ... and I mean that with the greatest respect, not as an insult.