PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor ratings for PPL/NPPL licence holders
Old 14th Feb 2004, 02:14
shortstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAS,

I wasn't bitching about flying instructors. I have the greatest respect for them ... but I also have respect for others who don't have the money or time to be get the bit's of paper that so many see as the only way to mark you out as worthy. I see this in many walks of life and not just aviation.

I have read quite a few of your posts and mostly I find that you make great sense and speak with clarity and knowledge. That's why I find it so dissappointing when I see people like yourself who should know better making blanket statements and belittling those less "worthy". You take great delight in pointing out that you are someone who does have an FI rating and that's fine, but I am allowed my opinion too. It may be from a different angle but it is just as relevent to this discussion. Calling you an ignorant fool was a bit over the top and for that I apologise. However, assuming that I am so ignorant to think that instructing is all fun and doesn't have it's dull, dangerous or just plain "ordinary" side is just as bad. I come from the world of agriculture where we lean against gates chewing grass in the hot sun and never get wet or cold calving cows at 2am ... so what would I know of real life?

It's a shame you weren't flying earlier as you'd realise that the world wasn't invented post JAR. Things actually worked quite well if not perfectly before. What's wrong with the present system? well quite a lot actually, why else do you think this topic keeps reappearing? The BGA and BMAA do not require CPL level instructors and if you think their standards are low then I will call you ignorant again and mean it!

I'm sure you are a very good instructor and very enthusiastic about flying ... that's great. I never said I thought CPL's FI's ect weren't, I just meant we don't all want to be airline pilots.

"Most PPLs a danger to themselves and others"? well there you go again! ... perhaps you're right (but I think not). If you are, who's at fault? maybe you as an instructor? ... or are they just the ones taught by someone else or those qualified before JAR?

If I had my own house I'd remortgage it ... but I don't. If I had no kids to feed I'd chuck every penny at doing the now very expensive CPL papers and AFI course ... but I do. There are plenty of rich kids out there (my sweeping statement and only meant tongue in cheek) who's daddy payed their way, does that mean they are more likely to be better instructors? Sob story? well to a certain extent yes, but I really think spending £8000 or so just to teack basic PPL is a bit on the steep side.

Like I said it's not so much your argument but your attitude toward "mere" PPL's that I object to. To say you don't think that way but then to go on and say the things you do only goes show you are just a tad elitest.

SS