PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Massey training
Thread: Massey training
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2004, 06:35
AerocatS2A

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
In Massey's first few years of aviation training, there was a lot of scepticism in the NZ industry. Part of it fueled by the odd incident of students getting lost on Xcountries, part of it fueled by the perceived ******-factor, ie. wearing uniform and epauletes. The aircraft stood out because they had "Massey" callsigns, eg "Massey 258". This means that when any mistakes are made, it is obvious who the operator is.

I have personal experience with 2 Massey students. One seemed to be a good pilot who is now an FO with Easterns, the other was a bit of a no-hoper who could afford the training (around $50,000 at the time) but didn't seem to have any real drive to be a professional pilot. For the 2 years it took to get my CPL and a job, he moped around doing nothing. Last I heard he was still unemployed. Probably didn't help that he wouldn't accept a job on a single (even if the company had twin turbines with a reasonable rate of progression onto them).

That's obviously not a big enough sample to show anything except that, like all flying schools, it churns out some gravel along with the gold.