PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS Pay/WP
Thread: NATS Pay/WP
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2004, 18:25
Pheasant Plucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
055166k, Middle Earth et al

The guys down here work hard, it is intense and unrelenting.
Yes, I would have to agree with you, you do.

As do your colleagues at other units. What you have got to remember is that there are a lot of controllers at other units that have passed through LATCC (both valid as well as unsuccessful), and as such, there are a lot of controllers at other units who know exactly how busy and complex you are in comparisson to what they are doing now and thus have more of an informed opinion on this argument.

This is at the root of a lot of peoples anger and frustration at the way LACC is treated compared to everyone else.

You certainly have some very busy, complex airspace and can have periods of intense workload. Your busy traffic can be sustained for long periods, more so, to an extent , than other units, but you are not that much more busy or complex, and your workload isn't that much greater, to the extent portrayed by the unit scores (and by your own estimates - based on what? Your experiences of working at other units??).

The difference in pay between your unit and others at the moment; I think, fairly reflects any differences in workload and complexity and I personally see no justification for widening that gap (taken from a ScATCC perspective, MACC lads & lasses may think differently).

If you are taking on more aspects of WP at this time then, yes, you should get a little extra provided that the same automatically applies when (not if) other units have to go through additional changes to their WPs.

I agree that the BEC negotiated some very good figures and that the WP changes aren't too onerous, but until the method for calculating the the unit scores is revised so that it more accurately and honestly reflects reality, I shall be voting NO in the ballot.

And just as an aside - It was admitted by one or two members of the BEC that they had expected a certain outcome from the results of the model and, lo and behold, when it produced that outcome i.e. LACC and TC way ahead of everyone else, they didn't test the model further, for rigour and robustness.

Last edited by Pheasant Plucker; 10th Feb 2004 at 01:27.