PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Army Air Corps Pilots...??
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2004, 18:33
Rotary Pongo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foz2....

Well, I must say that I'm quite disappointed by the way this thread has gone. Rather than a reasoned discussion it has degenerated into a willy waving contest about semantics around stories people know not enough about or, in a couple of cases, those who just like trying to get a response.

I stand by what I said in my original post and that is my honest view. And it follows a similar line to Bill's subsequent one.

The key decision for you....and this is why I could never be in the RAF...is...Do you just want to fly and aren't too interested in the military/officer/leadership bit. While I personally can't stand that view many RAF Officers will openly admit that is why they joined. Some would even say….what’s wrong with that?

I might not agree with it but that doesn't mean they are bad pilots...of course they're not. Or even bad blokes in some cases. But in terms of being what I would see as a good officer...well, there have been so many instances where you know they are thinking 'I can't be arrsed with doing this duty or organising this, when can I fly again'. Again, Leadership is not taught in a command task. I was astounded to find out that RAF Pilots are 're-coursed' at Cranwell for being rubbish and then allowed to remain in the RAF's most select branch. If you are a poor officer by Cranwell standards (which are hardly stellar)....then why on earth should they then be allowed to serve in the most select branch? Again they would argue, we’re only here to fly. Fine, if that’s what you want.

Not that Sandhurst is the be all and end all and some knobs do get through into the AAC but at least they have been tested a bit. If you are crap at RMAS, and I mean outside of the top 50% of the intake (you’d be lucky to get any half decent Regt/Corps to take you if you were back termed/re-coursed), then forget about the AAC. Remember that you do not have a trade/branch at the start of Sandhurst and there is a chance that out of the 6 or so of the 240 in the intake that go AAC then you may not make it in if your reports aren’t good enough. Then you’ll be in the R Artillery or something else for 3 years. I wouldn’t of minded that too much as being an Army Officer is a superb and demanding job in it’s own right…..flying is a bonus but it is not the only reason I joined.

The overwhelming point is…what do you want out of your career? Flying or being an officer, or a combination of the two. Bill’s post about AAC – Apache, then going R Navy (or Marines) when desk job looms large is the most sensible thing on here so far.

As I said before, when flying ends it'll be a sad day but there are many other challenges awaiting me in the rest of my career equally and more demanding than flying.

Best of luck…but go into it with your eyes open.

Last edited by Rotary Pongo; 8th Feb 2004 at 18:50.