PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia: Training, Licence Conversion, Job Prospects
Old 7th Feb 2004, 10:19
pohm1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FF,

The work at Ayers Rock is not about digging holes and then filling them. It is about getting experience by building hours and assisting in the running of a tourist operation. The flying is almost all scenic work at first, then other charters as you become more experienced.

You will average around 25-30 hours per month. You start in a jet ranger, then when you've done a few months you go into the long ranger and H500.

The accomodation is in the form of 2 or 3 bedroomed units which you share with other pilots, rent free. You usually work 5.5 days a week. Most pilots start looking for other work after 18 months to 2 years. You are unlikely to have 1000hrs by that stage but the last few guys who have left with 600-800 hours haven't had a problem getting other work because nearly all their time is turbine.

Not everyone who does their licence at PHS will get a job, it would be foolish to believe that's the case. No promises are made with regard to jobs, when a slot is available interviews for those interested are held and the right person gets the job.

I have also heard that 2 other Vic based operators approach PHS when they need low hour pilots.

Speak to the instructors, MS, SW and PT have all done a stint in the NT or PM me if you wish.

Even if it doesn't work out, the training at PHS always seems well regarded in the industry, and that can only help if you are looking for work elsewhere.

If I sound biased, its because I am!

Last edited by pohm1; 7th Feb 2004 at 10:40.