PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - alcohol smell and smoking in the cockpit
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2004, 18:15
Getyer flaps out

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found this thread interesting as I have just passed interview for Ryan TRSS F/O scheme and I am STILL thrilled at the potential chance to join Ryan despite the scaremongering by Go around Flaps 15 AKA boeing driver aka FMS apprentice and no doubt others.

On a serious note - drunk on duty - pi d up captains?, I just do not believe they would allow their extremely hard fought reputation to be flagrantly abused and potentially jeopardised in this way.

there was talk in our group interview about the contingency to deal with a hull loss should, (God forbid), it ever happen and how it would effect the business.
Whilst, obviously, there is no defined answer to that, if something like this was to happen due to Ryan flight deck crew being pi d, do you think this scenario could have a positive impact, increase Ryans sales or public perception?.

I just cannot be convinced somebody as astute as MOL who, rightly or wrongly in your opinion, has put so much of his life, energy and acumen into making Ryan the phenomenon it is would allow all that to be threatened by such negligence from any line pilot, even less likely, allow a culture to develop, ala BA

My guess is they would be on a 'free' one way ticket out of Ryan.

I would not fly with a drunk colleague even if it meant my job and a huge debt, (which I don't think it would), rather that than have 'inexperienced spinless F/O who failed to act" along with the blood of 189 pax on my epitaph.

On a lighter note (no pun intended) - smoking - ....... I don't know if it happens, what the law or company regs are. I hope it doesn't, but if it is allowed then you just get on with it and don't whinge, you certainly don't come on a public site and bite the hand that feeds. I was taught that ' you have to lick ar$e before you can kick it', the captains earned his stripes, so you simply keep your head down, keep your nose clean.... and.... (tongue in cheek, from here on in)

passively smoke the low cost way?.

You accept your captains generous offer of free smoke on all flights ... and... they also pay all the government taxes and charges!!

you then use the money you've saved to buy some soap, wash your clothes and hair a few times,

suddenly you awake one day, 3 years later, and you find yourself in the privilaged left seat as a captain of STILL the largest low cost carrier in Europe... and...

the largest scheduled carrier in the UK??

(Yes.. Mr Eddington, you can beg to differ, but those are Ryans plans for future shape and size),

(I hear what you say Mr. Webster, that whilst your in charge of the competition..... it certainly won't be Easy)

all of a sudden,

"hey presto....."

the fags have completely disappeared and every sector you fly is now non-smoking.......

magic?

No.... common sense