PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine fire forces landing at Sydney Airport
Old 6th Feb 2004, 09:33
plainmaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading this thread has pointed out to me that a few need to get out into the wider world and get a life.

As Buster said in his initial post, the report was factual.

If smoke is seen, you ASSUME a fire (or at the very least an ignition source) is active.

To my mind there is a difference in a FORCED LANDING and being FORCED to land. The first I would contend (and am prepared to be corrected) realtes to control - ie the aircraft is incapable of normal sustained flight. In this instance, following the advisory by ATC, would not SOP's require an immediate divert to the first available airport (but still capable of normal control)? That instruction removes the pilot's discretion, thereby "forcing" them to land.

And correct me if I am wrong, but THE POLICE reported a safe landing and no injuries.

Arguing about the technical deficiency of Turbo in what is essentially a newssheet is pure semantics. Come on guys!!

Now the channel Ten item about a cargo plane........well a Dash 8 to the "foamers" (US term for trainspotters - love it!!) is a freight locomotive produced by GE!!!. Perhaps Corrigan's influence extends further than we believe.

Plainmaker