PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - University before flying?
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2004, 01:11
Ian_Wannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Olli,
Last year I was in the same boat as you. As mentioned, the risk of not getting a job at the end of your ATPL training is quite high. This is why I'd recommend going to university, but go and study something you enjoy, not something that will benefit your application to the airlines etc.

Sounds weird I know, but you don’t need a degree to become an airline pilot. If you do something you enjoy, you will enjoy uni and in turn you will come out with a fall back plan.

I HIGHLY recommend a fallback plan. Just imagine if all that effort and money went into your training and then you were hit by an unforeseen medical problem - you'll be pen pushing or something mediocre.

You say you want to concentrate on further training instead of studying - I'm studying Aviation technology and management studies at Leeds university at the moment along with continuing my PPL flying - It is possible to do both, just work hard for the cash...

Also, don’t be put off by university its absolutely fantastic. Best thing I've been involved in!

At the end of the day though, its your choice and do whatever makes you happy. Just think sensibly about it

Good luck

Ian