PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - University before flying?
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2004, 00:15
winch launch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in the same position 2 years ago

Hey

I think that my recent experience might interest you. I had the same problem while studying for my french bac (A-levels). On one hand I wanted to start a training I was looking forward to since the age of 2. On the other hand, I was young, and really scared of having no diploma for the future. So I applyed through UCAS for aero engineering, and thought that I would decide later. I got my french "A-levels" and got accepted at the university of bristol for aero eng, which was totally unexpected. I thought I would be stupid to refuse this place and just went for it. After two weeks, I was already fed up with it, and as I had recently got my PPL, all I was thinking about was flying. Hopefully I had a great time at uni but after 5 weeks, I was already thinking about droping. But I thought I should at least finish the first part of what I started, and passing first year would be fine to then stop the course. I passed first year, which once again was totally unexpected as my IQ is probably half the one of the people in my course! Under the huge joy of passing, I thought that I should just continue to the bachelor (2 more years).
But the same thing happened again, I got seriously bored of the course again, and was skipping all the time to go gliding. So I realised that there is no point of forcing myself to do something I hate. I wanna do nothing else than flying, and when I wake up in the moorning I wanna tell myself that I am a pilot, wether it s to fly a 747 or to be a C152 instructor (Unfortunatly I know that many ATPL(f) struggle to get some flying because of the curent airline industry situation, and don t think that I am a guy full of illusions that thinks that getting a flying job is easy). On the other hand I surely don t wanna be an engineer (it s just not for me). So I thought that instead of always thinking about my backup plan (engineer) in case I don t make it to professional pilot , I should just do my maximum and concentrate on my dream. So I dropped, which nobody around me could understand, and even saw my parents almost crying when they understood I said NO to a good diploma. But the most important is that I know what I am doing(well I hope so), and right now I am working as an A/G communicator, and started my distance learning ATPL. I have never been so happy about myself and I don t regret anything about my choice. I am making my way through my dream, and everyday, I find myself in an environment that I love. I also don t regret my time at uni, as it helps to mature a lot, and to experience life in an other way. But I guess you can get that with a job too. If you want to have a degree, then do it. It has so many advantages, and can make yourself more attractive to airline eployers. But If you don t feel like it, you might get the same problems as I had.

you decide, and I really don t want to influence you. I might regret my choice if at 40 years old, with a few kids and a wife, I loose my flying job because of terrorism, or for medical resons, or what ever. But there is nothing I can do about it, and forcing myself would have been a waist of time.

Winch (Don t hesitate to PM me for any other questions)