PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shuttleworth Displays - Feedback Required, Please
Old 4th Feb 2004, 23:31
JDK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greatest Air Race anneversary

I thought this long running thread was very good and important. As a long term fan of OW, I've been formulating my reply... While that's still formulating, here's another thought!

It's been brought to my attention that the 70th Anniversary of the Macrobertson Air Race from Mildenhall to Melbourne is this year.

Shuttleworth have the Comet. (Hoorah!) Which should be flying this year (Confirm pls? 3 cheers for 'yes')

No Boeing 247 or Fairey Foxes are airworthy in Europe (shame) but a very important Dutchman is - the DC-2 replicating Uiver, no 2 after the Comet G-ACSS in the race. As several other a/c in the race (OK, NOT the Pander either) could be mocked up by using S'worth based a/c, ('My Hildegarde' anybody?) a commemoration of the race is, theoretically, possible.

I'd LOVE to see the DC-2 & Comet in the air together. First time since 1934 I'd say, too. How historic is THAT then?

With a Thirties day on the prog already... OK, flying the DC into Old Warden isn't possible, but the DX place up the road would be.

What's the possibilities Old Warden people? Airbedane; Biggleworth, are you online? I'll say Please!

Cheers
James K