PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Union Agreement Gives Jetstar Flexibility
Old 4th Feb 2004, 09:02
Patriot One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
..stuff the turnaround times - the real juice in this argument has been picked up by rescue 1 and chimbu warrior..

.."hope to fly 4 legs a day" - u better damn well fly at least 4 legs a day or this ain't no low-cost carrier, and your turnaround times would be irrelevant. This must have been an error.

.."QF rates of pay..standard hours, shift penalties, etc". This is what happens when you put a dumb oirishman in charge. Labour costs are one of the most significant differentiators between full-service and low-cost airlines. By adopting QF's ludicrous pay-rates on the ramp this certainly won't be low cost. Jetstar ramp boys will still earn more than Jetstar FO's! I wonder where the flexibility comes in? Low cost carriers need flexible and multi-skilled workforces - I don't see this being promulgated here. Just wait until a simply issue outside the square becomes a union debacle - "that's not in the agreement"...

But you know what? It doesn't really matter what cost it comes in at...it's purpose is far more strategic. Starve VB. And I have been a part of a similar strategy in a previous life overseas, and it worked but at a cost - but long-term it was a better option than allowing the upstart to stuff the industry.

Finally, I hear all the arguments re-turnaround times. Don't you just love VB claiming the moral high ground by saying "the extra 5 minutes allows us to look after the wellbeing of our staff and guests". Bollocks. If that was the criteria then turnaround times would be in excess of an hour. 5 minutes makes stuff all difference. Anything under 40 minutes creates tension, stress, and pressure - and all you gentlemen should know that in those circumstances mistakes are bound to occur - and who's gonna have to live and deal with them? You blokes.

Good luck.