PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Union Agreement Gives Jetstar Flexibility
Old 1st Feb 2004, 10:07
Red_Z3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm gonna have to agree with Kaptain M. and to some degree with Wizofoz.. starting with wiz's commenst that a true lo-cost carrier can make turn of 15 minutes .................... true I've seen turn on 80% pax loads done in 11 minutes.
that was achieved with a full tech crew and cabin crew compliment cleaning plus at least 6 ground staff assisting as well.
As it was a Tech crew change on that service the new Captain was basically doing is walk around as the beacon was turned off and the F/O was in the flight deck ready to start setting the ship up before the operating crew had finilised all their checks and packed up all their charts.
Now it can be done and it has been done but................. as Kap said there are alot of consideration which on an every day scenario will cause delays.
Wheelchairs, mother with infant elderly pax and so on...........
Wheelchairs are the worst as nothing can take place until they are seated and strapped in (trust me a lenghty process especially when the pax is ruther large).
Your comments regarding the aerobridge,.................. yes true but don't be confused with how quickly an aerobridge can be put on a plane, we are talking about a 30 seconds process. when you look at a full stand-off you have to consider (europe is an example) weather !!! boarding is dramattically slower when boarding through rain, try and push two sets of stairs to an A/C when it's wet and wind gusting .......... (not so easy !!) bridge would be much quicker.
And last but not least you can get the ship ready and you'll find that pax are still moving about the cabin trying to store their cary-on baggage.
A fair call Wiz and I totally agree it can be done and it will be done again and again, but its not realistic to schedulle A/C with that turn around time as you are rushing crew to prepare you are rushing ground crew to get people on and you are rushing pax to get on, it may just work ............. but it will fail soon or later.
That's without even talking about engineering requirements for daily checks and sign off's or for the refuller who has to load 15000 kgs of fuel for a trip to Perth or Darwin. every comment I read had its merit and value except offcourse for THREE BARS, who obviously does not like VB and childishly passes comment when it has nothing to do with being smarter or not , its a comment made by keeping in mind a realistic approach to a busy turn-around (which by your comments you indicate that you have no idea what it takes to do one)

Cheers

Red