PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OXford and Jobs
Thread: OXford and Jobs
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2004, 14:14
Busta Level

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahhh..good old Oxford....Not

Why am I not at all surprised that the story remains the same ast it was in '97. How have they managed to get away with it for so long? Whilst the training and intructors were first class, the whole operation is let down by the admin/marketing/'career' departments.

When I was coming to the end of my course, as Oxford suggested, I went to arrange an appointment with the guy in question (can't remember his name!) to discuss employment options, look at my CV for suggestions on improving it etc etc. As he had spent the last 13 months saying how great he was, and how he had so many airline contacts, I thought he might be able to be of some help. I was told by his miserable secretary to 'come back once you've got your IR......

OK - although as I was not expecting him to find me a job, just looking for some of his much advertised 'advice', I thought that after the IR was a bit late, as I'd be in the process of leaving Oxford.

After the IR, I went to make an appointment, to be told that he could see me in two weeks! So I moved out of Oxford, back to London, and started the long job search on no money with loan payments looming. On the appointed day I borrowed some money and car from my GF, and drove to Oxford. I arrived about 15 minutes early, and was told to sit and wait outside his office, he was on the phone and would be with me shortly.

1 Hour later he was on his 4th phone call, and had not even acknowledged my prescence, even though he could see me sitting outside his glass walled office. I was getting a bit annoyed, as I had to get the car back for my GF to go to work. Finally, the phone calls ended, and then some mullet headed to$$er walked straight past me into the office, and sat down in front of the employment guys desk. They launched into a mirthful in depth discussion for another hour

Still with no acknowledgment of my prescence, I had to leave, so left my CV and contact number with his secretary, who promised he would call.

Never heard from him again. What a waste of space he is. What is the point of him?

Whilst I was in no way expecting him to find me a job, I do think that his behaviour was inexcusable. I did find a (very good) job eventually, but it had nothing whatsoever to do with the Oxford career department. This despite his crowing both before and during the course about his skill and derring at allowing students to land that elusive job.

The thing I resent is the attitude "You MUST go through us, you CAN'T apply direct because it will ruin the relationship we (OATS) have with the airline"
Whatever you do, DO apply directly to the airlines. Bu&&er his 'relationship' with his imaginary 'airline contacts'. Would you rather be unemployed whilst he dodders about, or land a job? Good luck anyway