PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Autorotation Question - Video
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2024, 15:32
SASless

Received 525 Likes on 220 Posts
The video reminds me of an engine failure I had on a 500D....one big "BANG" and it was all down hill from there....the end result was not a scratch on the aircraft and a long walk out of the woods in the dark in the wilds of Alaska where I was not on the top of the food chain.

As I see it...given the choice of sea water or a sandy beach.....I would endeavor to make a soft zero ground run landing to the beach. Even if it turned out all wrong and the helicopter rolls over....at least once the dust settles you should be able to crawl out, stand up, and dust yourself off since the helicopter is not strapped to your hind end as it sinks to the bottom of the sea. Even with open doors as seen in the video getting out underwater in a single gulp of air is not certain. Breathing is far less a problem in the salt air wafting across the beach. A less than stellar landing on the beach beats heck out of a great landing into the water.

As to landing in the trees....I always planned to arrive at the tree tops with all of the Rotor RPM you can gather....and use it to cushion your ROD into the trees. Picking the lowest, leafiest, softest limbed trees (without any stumps in the Landing Area) should prove beneficial. Having spent a lot of time over densely forested areas there was a lot of time that the only outcome was going to be a tree landing.

I disagree with the Tail first method....as I want the rotors to hold together and hopefully hang up on some strong limbs.....and prevent a very hard impact with the ground.

Fortunately I was only briefed on that method and never had an opportunity to try it out.

The Alaska thing was a tree landing of sorts....settled down in an Alder Patch which was more akin to a thicket than Trees and did so with bags or RPM which carried me over some real Trees and afforded a proper landing.

A very soft landing it was as the Alders cushioned the landing and it took some pruning to gain a safe clearance for the T/R Blades that fortuitously had no marks on them.

As always....Luck trumps skill every time. Being good is fine....being lucky is gooder!

The following 4 users liked this post by SASless: