PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not happy jan
Thread: Not happy jan
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2004, 18:14
Left2primary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothappyjan,

sorry to hear that the job for you at least, is not all you hoped it would be.

The only people that pecieve the life of a FA to be glamourous are, in my experience, the ones on the outside looking in.

Your post doesnt indicate short or longhaul, full service or lowcost so specific comments based on the demands placed on FA's within these groups is difficult.

I was 22 and nearly in tears myself towards the end of my first sector out of training school.
Never in my life had I been so tired and was convinced that there was no way I could hack the sleep deprivation given how bad I felt at the time.

I almost convinced myself that the job wasnt for me.

Well, I stuck it out, developed [healthy] ways to cope and adjust and 16 years later I still believe that I have just about the best job in the world.

Sure it isn't perfect but nothing is. If I were you I would stick it out for as long as you can. You may find that you learn cope better with more experience.

Maybe make a list up of the pros and cons and make a decision based on which outweighs the other but please, forget looking for the glamour. It doesnt exist.

My crew and I all had a giggle the other night before going to work as we all had thoughts of resignation when the phone rang for call at 1.30 am Sydney time for a 14 hour tour of duty.

The thought that flashed through my head was, "what the hell am I doing this for". Well we did it, had a laugh and now all is forgotten.

Great advise from those that have suggested maintaining high levels of fitness, even if the thought of doing so is the last thing you want to do.
Given the physical and mental demands placed on us I would go almost as far as to say that it is compulsory.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do but my advise would be to stick it out for a while.
I joined initially with plans for only two years. It may just grow on you too.