PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kiwi in Europe curious about prospects at 32
Old 20th Apr 2024, 18:32
icebird47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kiwi in Europe curious about prospects at 32

Hi all,

I’m an NZer living in Germany now (wife is German). Taking the move as an opportunity to have a career reset. Currently a mountain guide, have had a lot of fun but it’s not sustainable long term for a number of reasons and I’m a bit over it. I’ve always loved flying, got my PPL in NZ a few years ago, around 120hrs.

I’m considering taking flying to the next level, but have some concerns. I currently have residency, but it’s not going to be permanent for a few years. For all cadetships I have come across this means I’m currently ineligible. Also seems like my existing hours and PPL are near useless here with many ATOs?

Obviously it’s a huge financial commitment to jump in to a flying career. I’m 32 and married, so trying to ensure I really have a good shot at making this work before taking the plunge.

Do temporary residents stand a chance getting a flying job of any type in Europe? Are permanent residents (once I get it) disadvantaged majorly compared to Citizens? What sort of opportunities are there to build hours initially since cadetships aren’t an option for me? Are there any pilot career advisors/councillors that people are aware of to help me navigate my somewhat unique circumstances?

I’m not attached to the idea of airline flying, and would prioritise flexibility in lifestyle and work location over pay given my circumstances and stage of life.

Keen on any advice or suggestions on next steps investigating my options, any and all appreciated.

Cheers