PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest Boeing News
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2024, 07:34
waito

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Boeing is one drastic example for the power shift from engineering to accounting (or read: shareholder interests)

I see it in my company. Customer satisfaction is important. That is a given. NO NEED to talk about it. Product quality? We are the best anyway, no doubt about it. NO NEED to talk about.

Meanwhile, 60% of the agenda, discussions, infos are covering cost saving, accounting party tricks, cost distribution, cash flow strategy, stock buyback policy, re-sourcing to cheaper suppliers, lean management, reduce workforce,..., and the ever revolutionary ideas on boosting efficiency.

20% is adjusting self admin rules to align with accounting changes, and 20% of communication covers the product.

Too often a relevant product info only tickles down, as in "four weeks from now we will change the product characteristics, please prepare." Appears as almost accidental. And one week before the change is due.

Usually this is forwarded with a cascade of lean "FYI" comments from management, signalling "dunno if it is important, nothing I can add, you make up your mind."
​​​​​
That's from top to bottom in management. If we outline that product work is degraded, we see shoulders shrugged.

No, I'm not in accounting or administration department.

That's how "safety is our top concern" will be forgotten in the daily business!
​​

Last edited by waito; 20th Apr 2024 at 11:49.